1. One of Vuitton’s best selling bags, the Speedy, did not become popular until it was redesigned in 1960 for Audrey Hepburn, one of Hollywood’s all time great actresses.
2. Aged 13, living with a strict stepmother and tired of life in the provinces, Louis Vuitton left his hometown of Jura and headed for Paris. The journey took him 2 years to complete. Despite starting life as a humble peasant he went on to create one of the worlds most valuable brands.
3. When the Louis Vuitton Building opened on the Champs-Elysée it was the largest travel-goods store in the world. The current store is still open on the same site today and boasts over 1,800sq.mt of space.
4. Louis Vuitton gives away bags to the press before its collection hits the runway. He is also known for giving away Christmas gifts to the press. The Spring Summer 2005 Lizard Cerises Pochette, Fall Winter 2007 Squitchy Bag, the Spring Summer 2007 TDF Cabas with a Speedy incrust, and 2005’s Petit Noe Epi Mocha with gunmetal have all been rumoured giveaways of the past.
5. In 2012 Louis Vuitton was named the most valuable luxury brand in the world. It is the 7th year straight the company has taken the accolade and values LV at $25.9 billion.
Written by: Stephen Adams